10 November 2015

Beginning of 2000 goth

We´ve only been this far, haven´t we? It is hard to sum of gothic fashion of that time, since already in the 90s the subculture began to split music and style wise, taking influences from Rave, Metal etc.

But for me, beginning of 00s goth means heavy black/red eyeshadow, thin/no eyebrows, long black hair in 2 colors and possibly with dreads, and pretty much any outfit out there, as long as it involved bell bottoms and cut out gloves.

from Back To School video by Deftones

Why should you give a fuck?
Because this is an appreciation post! 00s goth marks the time when goth will soon be confused with emo; or when metal goth began; and when the stereotype of goth as we know it came to haunt our gloomy everyday life.

Murderdolls
In this style, the common "long black hair" got embedded into every babybat´s first step in the goth ladder, and thin eyebrows as the first beauty rule. Funny that people still dress like this even today when they first come across the style and want to try it out.

Source
Queen Of The Damned

 This was also the time for goth models to become more popular. One of my favorite goth models will always be Wednesday Mourning. She has a very old school charm, has no tattoos or piercings and was very inspiring for me in my babybat years.


The Wave Gotik Treffen began to attract attention more and more since the end of the 90s-beginning of 00s. One of my favorite source of inspiration (and jealousy) in my babybat years was Viona Art´s website, especially her WGT galleries (the early 00s were especially my favorite). Unfortunately, last time I checked the galleries were brought down.
This picture is a dream for me ever since:


There is a huge variety of styles from the beginning of the millennium in the goth subculture, tell me what are your favorites, or the ones that make you most nostalgic :)

N. Finsternis

20 comments:

  1. I personally like this "era" the most, even though the whole criticism over it. Reminds me of good times in my life, and the ends of my childhood. I think the whole admix within the "dark" subcultures only helped to improve the gothic one. I mean, in terms of fashion for example, goths got way more creative with their appearance, getting way more diverse among themselves. In terms of music, of course things got more commercial, but this made the subculture more known and more appreciated, which helped it to keep alive till today. :D
    Absolutely adore your post!
    xx

    www.inexplicited.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, things have to go forward, if they don´t the subculture would be staying in place.
      I am happy you liked the post :)

      Delete
  2. Gosh, we share the dream picture XD Such nostalgia, and Viona's WGT galleries too; when I saw they're no more on her site I thought I've only imagined them.
    I personally can judge only music from 00s, because this is what I can encounter from time to time (and my judgement is: I don't like it, but I pretty much don't like gothic music newer than 80s lol). I have absolutely no idea about what fashions were back then, because at the beginning of the 00s I was still a child, I've been listening to pop and had no idea things like goth or metal scene even exists. Later there was Evanescence of course, it was the first heavier band for me; funny how much can you change in just three years. But still, I had no clue about gothic looks, because I didn't have an internet connection yet, not to mention having no alternative-looking friends. It's more a stereotypical perception for me, like, 00s have Marilyn Manson as their icon, whom I abhor, therefore this decade is crap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not dress the part either, listened here and there to some songs, that´s it. But I did notice it in television in some music videos, and movies like Queen of The Damned. I could see how my peers at school were kind of dressing the part, not entirely, but with some elements of goth. This type of goth was one of the first ones I perceived as a young teenager.

      Delete
  3. I think my first goth character was Nancy from The Craft. I was like 15 (this shows my age!). Also you showed a picture from the goth girl in Blair Witch 2, I love her. Actually I think movies influenced my desire to dig in the goth subculture although I am not goth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, how I hate Nancy from the Craft! I only came across this character in recent years, had no idea of the movie (this shows my age as well!).
      The internet was the only goth world I´ve ever seen in my early teenage years, so I dived right in and explored websites, bands and pictures hours into the night, good times :)

      Delete
  4. Loved this post! I think it is heartwarming that some people have found their style in the early 00's and stick to it even after 15 years. :)

    P.S. I love your blog's new style!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I started going goth back in 1996 and was around in the early 2000s. This brings back so many memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder how I would look at the current goth fashions in 15 years hehe

      Delete
  6. Oh gosh, this does make me nostalgic; I remember all the goths hanging out at the city train station dressed like this back when I was young, and I imprinted very strongly on it.

    I'd be unlikely to ever dress straight noughties-goth (eighties and the current witch trends are still my main inspiration), but I do still steal some aspects now and again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I´ve noticed that when I´m lazy with my outfit, I turn out looking like this, which is a nice "safe" outfit to be wearing on a day when you don´t care not looking contemporary and sophisticated XD

      Delete
  7. Aw this takes me back. I loved the 2000s. I was in beauty school then and remember doing all those braids, dreads, and spiking your hair as high as it could go. It was so over-the-top...everything was. I love how wearable nu-goth is now and how effortlessly chic it is today, but I do have fond memories of bondage pants and chains and blinking jewelry, neon colors. lol though 2000s style is still around today...as mall goth, pretty much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. also I too like the new look of the site!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You see this style on young people still, it´s like a thing every young alternative person begins with?

      Happy you like it! I thought it´s time to bring more hipster to the mix.

      Delete
  9. YES! So many great memories <3 and i still think the style from back then was one of the most creative and beautiful ones!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My name is Jay Fleming and how are you Hi how can I become a goth person

    ReplyDelete
  11. wauw het ziet er heel goed uit. Heb je de volgende link bezocht ..? zo niet, open dan de link en geniet van 25% korting en gratis en snelle verzending. https://www.thedarkattitude.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Shop special Gothic Clothing for Women & Men at reasonable costs. Our assortment is handpicked from the best elective stores from around the world. We transport around the world.

    ReplyDelete