4 December 2016

Now What?

A question from me to you, now that I'm concluding a rather content lacking year, I would like to hear some feedback from you about this blog. What do you want to read/ see here? Which posts do you like best, and which least?


Bane has recently wrote about how Blogger is declining in popularity next to other platforms such as Youtube/ Instagram/ Tumblr, and I can only agree with that. I find that there are few alternative bloggers than there were before; people aren't into reading that much, they're into watching videos or looking at outfit pictures and if they really want to read an article, they'll go to a specific website.
That's something I've been experiencing as a blogger and as a consumer online.

Aside from that, I feel the content of this bog has long since deteriorated and I feel I can do better than that.
I find it really hard to dedicate this blog to something specific. What started out as an alternative lifestyle/ fashion blog now has turned into rant posts about the gothic subculture (well deserved, if you ask me), random tag and favorites posts and music geekery galore. These are just a few things I like to blog about, and if I restrict myself just to one category I will not enjoy blogging that much. Needless to say I find it hard to provide interesting content in any of the mentioned categories consistently.
Furthermore, dedicating a single blog to each one of these themes is way too time consuming for me, and we all know how good I am in keeping these miniature-blogs alive. I also don't want to resign from Deus Ex Machina because it's my little "my years as a 20-something biography" online, a place that is far too precious for me to just let go of.
Which means changing a platform would be as hard. I have ideas for some youtube videos, but I will become a youtube vlogger over my dead body, not to mention I don't have the time and technology for it.


So I want to know from you - what would you like to see here, what content you think doesn't fit the blog anymore? Any other ideas are welcomed!!!

Smokey / What Can I Do?


Maria

9 comments:

  1. It's your blog, so write about what you want. I like your posts/rants about the "scene" since you're in a pretty vibrant scene. I always like reading about what is going on in other countries. But again, write about what you want. If you aren't passionate about something, it'll show in the writing

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's your blog, so write about what you want. I like your posts/rants about the "scene" since you're in a pretty vibrant scene. I always like reading about what is going on in other countries. But again, write about what you want. If you aren't passionate about something, it'll show in the writing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it makes sense. I've been in a rut lately and I don't know if I should focus my content in one direction or not. I feel like I can do better, but I don't want to restrict myself.

      Delete
  3. I thought (and still do think) that your blog is great. I love reading your posts even though I often feel like I lack the capacity to actually comment something clever and authoritative. I've never studied or played music myself so I do not think I am adequate to make comments. :) I do not know if you read it but Goth Gardener posted (like about a year ago or something) about how blogs are today's penpals. Instead of getting a penpal from somewhere, people write about their thoughts and life on blogs and then likeminded people who blog become friends. I like that idea. :)

    True, nowadays people are making vlogs but that is blogs in a new medium. I personally prefer to read text but, hey, I've studied literature so I am biased. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am happy you still enjoy reading my posts, I know I am often writing about very specific things but I am happy it's still entertaining :)

      Delete
  4. I don't think it's necessary to limit the content to one topic. In fact, I like variety. People are interesting when they're multi-faceted.

    As Jade said, I often feel I don't have anything to offer in comments because I don't play an instrument, go out, or travel to other countries... but I still like reading about music, the scene, and other cultures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback, I am happy that my perspective is in any way interesting, I have come to realize that it's one of the things I like sharing.

      Delete
  5. I always liked reading your posts where you wrote about your experiences with different cultures of your ancestors. This is insane, because you don't post about it from a tourist view, but someone, who has contact with people who live there and you show a different side of the country. As for the content - who are we to dictate you what should you like to write about, really. I might not like prog rock, so it's normal that your last posts didn't spark my interest - although I have read them, because I like the way you write - but someone else might have enjoyed them. And I'm sure you enjoyed writing them. If you like to share your thoughts on blog, then there is no need to limit yourself when it comes to topic, because - like you've noticed, too - it might become an unsatisfying chore. Continue to write about whatever the fuck floats your boat, because what the hell - people come to blog for one thing and often stay with it despite everything else.

    Vlogs are fucking boring, I just can't sit through a 20-minute video of someone talking, when I could read it in less and easily focus on parts that interest me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback as well, I am really happy you like my writing style, I wouldn't think it is any good hehe.
      I love sharing my own perspective and I guess it's one of the reasons why I love writing this blog, I can share on so many different subjects hehe.

      Delete